This tart gets a floral note from lavender and some tang from fresh goat cheese. The rimmed crust is made by scoring the edges of a puff pastry sheet, then pressing on the center once it has baked.
- 3 Tbs. agave nectar
- 2 tsp. aged balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
- 3/4 tsp. dried or fresh culinary lavender, divided, plus lavender buds for garnish, optional
- 1 8-oz. sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tsp. heavy whipping cream, chilled, divided
- 1/2 cup soft goat cheese
- 2 tbs. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 pt. fresh figs (about 12 oz.) or 13 large figs, stemmed and quartered (21/2 cups)
1 | Combine agave nectar, balsamic vinegar, and 1/2 tsp. lavender in small bowl; set aside.
2 | Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Chill bowl of electric mixer in freezer.
3 | Roll puff pastry into 13- x 9-inch rectangle on floured work surface. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Mark 3/4-inch border around edges with paring knife, being careful not to cut through. Brush border with 2 tsp. heavy whipping cream, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp. lavender. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until golden, puffed, and flaky. Cool 3 to 5 minutes, then re-score original border lines. Flatten center of pastry by gently pressing with wide spatula; outer edge of pastry should remain intact and puffy. Cool on wire rack.
4 | Meanwhile, fit electric mixer with whisk attachment and place goat cheese in chilled mixer bowl. Add confectioners’ sugar and 2 Tbs. heavy whipping cream. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, until mixture is well combined, and goat cheese is softened. Pour in remaining 10 Tbs. cream; increase to medium-high speed, and beat 2 minutes, or until medium peaks form.
5 | Spread goat cheese mixture to cover center of pastry, and top with fresh figs. Drizzle balsamic-agave mixture over figs just before serving. Garnish with lavender buds, if using.
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 197 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g