Velvet-petaled pansies are inexpensive and easy to work with as dessert garnishes. Here, they turn a single-layer lemon cake into a special-occasion creation.
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
3. Beat butter and sugar in bowl with electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and lemon juice, and beat until smooth. Fold in half of flour mixture, then 1/2 cup buttermilk. Fold in remaining flour mixture, then remaining buttermilk.
4. Spread batter in prepared pan, and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan; then unmold, and cool completely on wire rack.
5. Meanwhile, melt raspberry jam with 1 tsp. water in small saucepan until mixture is thin enough to spread. Spread on cake, arrange pansies on top, and cut into 8 slices.