This tasty, colorful recipe can work as a side dish, or it can become a flavorful entrée by adding slices of browned tempeh or soy sausage just before serving.
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 11/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 11/2 tsp. crystallized ginger, crushed
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 11/2 lb. beets, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1?2-inch slices
- 1/2 lb. carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1?2-inch slices
- 6 small shallots, peeled and halved
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Combine lemon juice, brown sugar, both gingers and oil with 3 tablespoons water. Stir well to blend, dissolve sugar and moisten crystallized ginger.
Put beets, carrots and shallots in slow cooker, and pour on lemon-ginger mixture, stirring to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover, and cook on low until vege-tables are soft, 6 to 8 hours. To serve, sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts.
OVEN METHOD: Prepare lemon-ginger mixture as directed. Preheat oven to 375F. Place beets, carrots and shallots in ovenproof dish; pour on lemon-ginger mixture, stirring to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and bake until vegetables are tender, 1 to 11?2 hours. When ready to serve, sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts.
- Calories: 380
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 190 mg
- Sugar Content: 26 g