Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Rich in iron, healthful fats, and complex carbs, this versatile recipe is easily adapted to showcase fiber-rich vegetables throughout the seasons. Feel free to substitute green beans or sliced zucchini for the asparagus. Serve warm or chilled.
1. Place bulgur in large bowl, and pour 3 cups boiling water over it; cover, and let stand 20 to 30 minutes, or until bulgur is tender. Drain, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tsp. garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add asparagus and 1/2 cup water. Cover, and cook 5 to 6 minutes. Add spinach, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until just wilted, tossing occasionally with tongs. Season with salt, if desired.
3. Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup oil with lemon juice, lemon zest, and remaining 1 tsp. garlic. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Fluff bulgur with fork. Fold in spinach mixture. Stir in walnuts, basil, mint, and olive oil mixture.
- Calories 371
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 425 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g