Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
With fresh mint and lemon zest accenting asparagus spears, this stir-fry captures the brightness of spring. If you can’t find toasted sliced almonds, toast your own for 3 to 5 minutes in a 300°F oven.
1. Combine rice and broth in large saucepan, and crumble in saffron threads. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat wok over high heat, until water droplets evaporate within 1 second. Add oil, swirl to coat pan, then add green onions, chiles, and garlic; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes, or until onions turn bright green and soften. Add asparagus, and stir-fry 2 minutes more, or until asparagus is bright green and tender. Remove from heat, stir in almonds and mint, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Fluff rice, and spoon onto serving plate. Top with asparagus mixture. Garnish with lemon wedges.
- Calories 276
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 81 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g