Lemony Quinoa Breakfast Bowl with Earl Grey Strawberry Compote
A maple-sweetened berry compote is poured over lemon-flavored quinoa for a summer breakfast bowl.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Related: All About Quinoa
- 3 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large coins fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup strongly brewed Earl Grey tea
- 1 cup halved fresh or frozen strawberries
- 4 Tbs. sliced almonds
1. Add 3 Tbs. lemon juice and enough water to make 12/3 cups liquid in 2-cup measuring cup; pour into medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa, salt, and ginger, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and stir in milk and lemon zest. Cover, and let stand 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring maple syrup and tea to a boil in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil 6 minutes, or until liquid thickens and bubbles turn frothy. Pour over strawberries in bowl, and stir gently to coat. Stir in remaining 1 tsp. lemon juice.
3. Spoon 3/4 cup quinoa into each serving bowl, top each with 1/4 cup berry compote, and sprinkle each with 1 Tbs. almonds.
- Calories 263
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 0.5 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 303 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g