Even if you’re low on the essentials, this soup lends itself to improvisation: onions can stand in for leeks, and any type of beans can be used in place of chickpeas.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 15-oz. can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 large leek, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 4 thick slices country French bread
1. Bring chickpeas, leek, garlic, and 5 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes. Add spinach, tomatoes, and 1 Tbs. oil; simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and
stir in lemon juice and remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2. Place 1 bread slice in bottom of each of 4 soup bowls. Ladle soup over top.
- Calories: 312
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 576 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g