This tasty dish reheats well.
- 1 cup raw short-grain brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, boiling
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 large fire-roasted chilies, seeded and diced
- 1 15-oz. can black-eyed peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 Tbs. dried marjoram
- 1 tsp. liquid aminos
1. Combine rice with broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, for 40 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan for 1 minute over medium-high heat. Add shallot, scallions and chilies, and cook for 3 minutes. Add black-eyed peas and rice, and reduce heat to low. Add lime juice, cilantro, yeast, marjoram and aminos. Cover, and cook mixture for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Calories: 189
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 216 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g