Linguine with Grill-Roasted Tomatoes and Zucchini Pesto
Grilled zucchini and garlic get puréed with toasted sunflower seeds, fresh basil, and Parmesan to make a rich, mellow pesto.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
If storing pesto in the fridge, top the sauce with a thin layer of olive oil to preserve its bright-green color.
- 6 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 1/2 Tbs. plus 1/8 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 8 oz. uncooked linguine
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds, divided
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 small zucchini, halved, then cut into thin slices lengthwise
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Place garlic cloves on square of foil, drizzle with 1/8 tsp. oil, and wrap into flat package. Grill 20 minutes. Open packet to cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
3. Toast sunflower seeds in skillet 5 to 6 minutes over medium heat. Transfer to plate, and set aside.
4. Thread tomatoes onto skewers. Brush tomatoes and zucchini with 2 Tbs. oil, and grill 6 minutes, or until tomatoes begin to shrink and zucchini is tender.
5. Transfer garlic, basil, and 2 Tbs. toasted sunflower seeds to food processor, and blend until finely ground. Add 1 cup grilled zucchini, remaining 11/2 Tbs. oil, and Parmesan; blend until smooth.
6. Drain pasta, and toss with pesto, remaining zucchini, and tomatoes. Sprinkle with remaining sunflower seeds.
- Calories 452
- Carbohydrate Content 55 g
- Cholesterol Content 6 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 132 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g