Lots of garlic makes this a deeply-flavored dish.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. dried minced garlic (not flakes)
- 2 Tbs. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetarian chicken broth
- 1 tsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 12 oz. fresh okra, sliced
- 1 11.2-oz. pkg. vegetarian Italian "sausage" links, cut into 1/2-inch-long slices
- 1 8-oz. pkg. chicken-flavored seitan
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 2 14 1/2-oz. cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried coriander
- 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1. To make Roux: In medium-sized, heavy-gauge saucepan, heat oil and garlic over medium heat, about 1 minute. Avoid browning garlic. Whisk in flour, and increase heat to medium-high. Whisk continually, and when paste begins to darken, add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to whisk as roux thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
2. To make Gumbo: Spray 5-quart saucepan with nonstick cooking spray, preferably olive oil. Heat saucepan over medium-high heat, and add garlic, onion and pepper. Sauté 3 minutes, and add okra. Cook 5 minutes, and add vegetarian links and seitan. Cook mixture 8 minutes, stirring often. Add sherry.
3. Add 3/4 cup broth to pan. Place tomatoes in food processor, and pulse to chop coarsely. Add tomatoes to broth. Whisk remaining 1/4 cup broth into roux, and stir mixture into gumbo. Add thyme, coriander and hot pepper sauce. Reduce heat to low; cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and serve.
- Calories: 197
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Sodium Content: 524 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g