- 10 oz. medium elbow macaroni (about 3 cups)
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter plus more for brushing pan
- 2 Tbs. unbleached white flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 1/4 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided (about 5 oz.)
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
3. Melt 2 Tbs. butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook 1 minute. Add milk, and cook 6 minutes, or until thickened, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat; stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over noodles, and combine.
5. Transfer to 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake 45 minutes, or until top is crisp and beginning to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 269
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Cholesterol Content: 31 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 447 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g