The secret to slimming down this classic recipe? Finding just the right proportions for the cream sauce and cheese. For extra flavor and crunch, try folding in chopped green onion and sprinkling breadcrumbs on top.
- 10 oz. medium elbow macaroni (about 3 cups)
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter plus more for brushing pan
- 2 Tbs. unbleached white flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 1/4 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided (about 5 oz.)
Preheat oven to 400F.
Cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
Melt 2 Tbs. butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook 1 minute. Add milk, and cook 6 minutes, or until thickened, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat; stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over noodles, and combine.
Transfer to 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake 45 minutes, or until top is crisp and beginning to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 269
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Cholesterol Content: 31 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 447 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g