This salad gets a distinctive sour taste from green, under-ripe mangoes. If you can’t find green mangoes, try ripe mango, green papaya, or pineapple.
- 2 cups thinly sliced shallots
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 rice paper wrappers
- 1 large green or ripe mango, peeled and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 small red or white onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 3/4 cup small fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Chile-Garlic Paste or sambal oelek chile sauce
1. To make Crispy Shallots: Preheat oven to 200°F. Spread shallots on baking sheet, and bake 20 minutes, or until beginning to shrivel and dry.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook 10 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to paper-towel-lined baking sheet; cool.
3. To make Salad: Microwave rice paper wrappers one at a time 30 seconds, or until crisp.
4. Toss remaining Salad ingredients together in bowl. Top with 2 Tbs. Crispy Shallots (reserve remainders for another use). Serve with rice crisps.
- Calories: 181
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 45 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g