Stock up on chestnuts while they're in stores for the holidays so you can make this dish throughout the winter.
- 4 tsp. toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced (11/2 cups)
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, each piece halved
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 12 jarred chestnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbs. pure maple syrup
1. Heat 2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and thyme, and sauté 10 minutes. Transfer to bowl; set aside.
2. Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh, and cook 3 minutes on each side. Add soy sauce and 2/3 cup water. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook 6 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Add broth, chestnuts, vinegar, maple syrup, and onion. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Calories: 375
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 172 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g