The dough can be made a day ahead, refrigerated, then baked before serving for hot scones on New Year’s morning.
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Place currants in bowl, and cover with boiling water.
2. Whisk together flours, oats, baking powder, sugar, and salt in large bowl. Add butter pieces, and rub into flour mixture with fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Whisk together milk and maple syrup. Stir into flour mixture just until dough comes together. Drain currants, and stir into dough.
4. Transfer dough to well-floured work surface, and knead 2 to 3 times, or until smooth. Pat into 1-inch-thick square. Cut 16 scones with 2-inch round cutter, and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until light brown on top.
- Calories 141
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 12 mg
- Fat Content 4.5 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 145 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g