Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Spaghetti squash brings natural sweetness and tenderness to baked goods, much the way grated carrots do for carrot cake.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Pierce spaghetti squash in several places with knife. Microwave 3 minutes on high power to soften. Slice off ends, and stand squash upright. Cut straight down length of squash. Remove seeds with spoon. Place halves cut side up on baking sheet. Bake 45 minutes, or until squash yields when pressed.
3. Cool squash 10 minutes. Scrape squash halves with fork to release strands. (You should have 2 cups.)
4. Reduce oven heat to 350°F, and coat 8-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
5. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt, and allspice in large bowl.
6. Whisk eggs and maple syrup together in separate bowl. Whisk in oil. Stir in
flour mixture. Fold in squash and raisins (if using).
7. Spread batter in prepared loaf pan, and bake 60 to 65 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Unmold, and cool completely.
- Calories 143
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 31 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 188 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g