The longer you leave the olives in the marinade, the more intense they become. Use within one week.
- 8 oz. good-quality green olives (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbs. chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as thyme, oregano, basil, marjoram, sage
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp. dried, crumbled
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. hot or sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 x 1-inch piece lemon peel
Place olives in medium bowl. Add garlic, mixed herbs, rosemary, fennel seeds, paprika, peppercorns, salt and red pepper flakes and mix well.
Pack olives into glass jar with tight-fitting lid, layering them with bay leaves. Add lemon peel, then enough olive oil to cover olives. Tightly cover jar and refrigerate at least 4 days, shaking occasionally.
To serve, drain olives, discarding peppercorns, bay leaves and lemon peel.
- Calories: 57
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 907 mg