Paprika-spiced roasted parsnip ribbons make a tasty garnish for mashed parsnips.
- 1 1/4 lb. parsnips, peeled, divided
- 2 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. melted butter, divided
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh chives
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel 2 or 3 parsnips into 2 cups thin ribbons, and slice remaining parsnips into chunks.
2. Transfer parsnip ribbons to bowl, and toss with 1 tsp. melted butter and paprika. Season with salt and pepper (if desired), spread on baking sheet, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring every 5 to 7 minutes. Cool.
3. Boil parsnip chunks in large pot of salted water 30 minutes, or until very soft. Drain, and reserve cooking liquid.
4. Press boiled parsnips through potato ricer or mash with potato masher until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup reserved cooking water, buttermilk, chives, and remaining 2 Tbs. melted butter. Season with salt and pepper (if desired). Transfer to serving bowl, and coarsely break up parsnip strips over top.
- Calories: 84
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 126 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g