Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
In this cousin to Irish colcannon, mustard greens, leek tops, and nutmeg add depth of flavor to mashed potatoes. For the liveliest spice, grate fresh whole nutmeg on the prong-like side of a box grater.
1. Steam mustard greens 2 minutes, or until just tender, rearranging once for even cooking. Transfer greens to sieve; squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible.
2. Set potatoes in steamer, and steam 12 to 14 minutes, or until tender, adding more boiling water to pan, if necessary. Combine potatoes and milk in saucepan; mash with potato masher. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leek, and sprinkle with salt if desired. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Add mustard greens, and sauté 2 minutes more. Stir greens mixture into potatoes along with sour cream and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 181
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 17 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 79 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g