Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The rutabaga gets its name from the Swedish word rotabagge, and is sometimes called a Swede or a Swedish turnip.
1. To make Mashed Rutabaga: Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add leek, and sauté 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in rutabaga, vegetable broth, and 1 cup water. Partially cover pan, and braise vegetables 35 minutes, or until very tender.
2. To make Salsa Verde: Mince garlic in food processor. Add parsley, olives, capers, and lemon juice, and process until finely chopped. Add oil, and process to blend. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Transfer rutabaga mixture to food processor in batches, and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. To serve, spoon portion of warm Mashed Rutabagas onto each plate and top with scant 1 Tbs. Salsa Verde.
- Calories 110
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 289 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g