Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Kabocha or red kuri squash teams up with sweet potato and sautéed mushrooms in this sunset-hued mashed squash bowl. Together the savory mushrooms, fresh watercress, and rich, sweet squash all come together to make a perfectly cozy vegan bowl.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Mashed Squash with Sautéed Mushrooms and Watercress
- In a large bowl, combine squash, sweet potato, and 3/4 cup water. Cover, and microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Take out of the microwave, give it a stir, then cover and cook 3 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender.
- Mash everything together in the bowl, and add more water by tablespoonfuls if mixture is very dry (but keep mixture thick). Season with nutmeg, and salt and pepper, if desired.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, and rosemary, and sauté 10 minutes, or until liquids have cooked away.
- Add watercress and vinegar; toss 1 minute to wilt watercress slightly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Divide squash-sweet potato mash into serving bowls and top with mushroom-watercress mixture.
- Calories 162
- Carbohydrate Content 25 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 27 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g