Love empanadas or empanaditas but don't like making dough? Refrigerator biscuits are the answer. These easy-to-assemble rolled sandwiches hit the spot in any weather and for any meal, even breakfast. (A word to the sodium-alert: The premade jumbo biscuits we found were high in sodium, so make these an occasional treat.) Fruit, yogurt and plenty of hot coffee or tea complement the meal.
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. Tex-Mex seasoned soy "ground meat"
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbs. salsa plus extra for garnish
- 2 Tbs. snipped cilantro
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 pkg. jumbo buttermilk refrigerator biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Heat skillet, and spray with cooking spray. Sauté scallions and “ground meat” 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon into mixing bowl, and stir in cumin, chili powder, cheese, 3 Tbs. salsa, cilantro and raisins. Scoop out 8 equal-sized portions, about 1/4 cup each, and set aside.
3. Dust work surface with flour, and roll out each biscuit to about a 6-inch round. Spoon portion filling onto half of biscuit, fold over other half and pinch edges to seal shut, using water if needed. Put onto baking sheet. Repeat.
4. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven, garnish with salsa and serve hot.
- Calories: 260
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 750 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g