These hefty heroes provide a luscious lunch or dinner meal. Pair them with a chilled soup to start and a tart sorbet (lemon, lime, grapefruit) as the final note.
- 4 5-oz. hero rolls, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 6-oz. pkg. soy "chicken" strips
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, cut into sixths
- 1 cubanelle pepper, cut into long, thin strips
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat, and sauté garlic, “chicken” strips, scallions, tomatoes and pepper strips about 5 minutes, or until tomatoes and pepper strips soften. Remove from heat.
Put mixture into large mixing bowl, and stir in yogurt. Season with thyme, salt and pepper. Mound mixture onto hero rolls, and sprinkle each with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Put rolls onto baking sheet.
Broil on center rack 3 to 4 minutes, or until tops are golden and cheese has melted. Slice each roll in half. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Calories: 310
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 570 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g