Mediterranean Rice with Wilted Spinach and Feta
Fresh spinach is simmered with olive tapenade and feta cheese for a tangy base to this rice dish. Some prepared tapenades are made with anchovy paste, so be sure to read the label before buying.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 1/2 Tbs. herb- and garlic-infused olive oil
- 8 cups baby spinach (4 oz.)
- 3 Tbs. prepared olive tapenade, plus more for garnish, optional
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, plus more for garnish, optional
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 cups spinach, and cook 2 minutes, or until wilted. Push wilted spinach to outer edge of skillet, forming a ring. Add remaining spinach and cook, 1 to 2 minutes more, or until all spinach is wilted, mixing together with first batch.
2. Stir in tapenade and feta, and simmer 2 to 3 minutes. (Mixture will be saucy.) Fold in rice and cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until heated through. Serve sprinkled with additional crumbled feta and olive tapenade, if using.
- Calories 132
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 2 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 143 mg
- Sugar Content 0.5 g