Turn this room-temperature sandwich into panini by cutting it into smaller sandwiches, and cooking them in a panini press or skillet (weigh sandwiches down with a second skillet) until mozzarella has melted.
- 1 medium or 2 small eggplants, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1/2 cup plus 3 Tbs. Peppery Green Pesto, divided
- 1 10-oz. multi-grain baguette
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella (2 balls), sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained, and pulled apart into flat pieces
1 | Preheat oven to broil. Spray eggplant slices on both sides with olive oil cooking spray, and place on baking sheet. Broil 10 to 15 minutes, or until browned and tender, turning once. Transfer to bowl, and toss with 3 Tbs. pesto. Cool.
2 | Cut baguette in half lengthwise (like a hot dog bun), and hollow out center. (Reserve removed bread for breadcrumbs.) Spread remaining 1/2 cup pesto on top and bottom interior of baguette.
3 | Top bottom half of baguette with mozzarella slices, then tomato slices, eggplant slices, and roasted red pepper pieces. Finish with top half of baguette. Wrap sandwich tightly in plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving to allow flavors to develop, or refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. To serve: cut sandwich into 6 slices with serrated knife.
- Calories: 384
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 33 mg
- Fat Content: 24 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 361 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g