Stuffed peppers are a show-stopping, tried-and-true dinner classic. In this version, pomegranate juice and dried figs give it a Mediterranean feel.
- 4 large yellow or red bell peppers
- 3/4 cup pomegranate or cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup dried figs, stemmed and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup nonfat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 400F.
Cut tops off peppers to use as lids. Scrape out seeds and ribs with knife.
Combine pomegranate juice and figs in large saucepan, and cook over medium heat 7 to 10 minutes, or until figs soften and juice reduces and becomes syrupy. Remove from heat, and stir in rice, squash, feta cheese and walnuts. Fill peppers with mixture, and set in 9x13-inch baking pan. Place tops on peppers. Add 1/2 inch water to pan, and cover with foil.
Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until peppers are tender with slightly wrinkled skins and filling is hot.
- Calories: 325
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 215 mg
- Sugar Content: 23 g