Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
To make this a vegan dish, simply replace the Cornbread Topping with the Basic Pie Pastry: Drape it over the filling, and tuck in the sides just before baking.
1. To make Filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes, or until translucent. Add chile, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in corn, flour, and soy crumbles, breaking up with wooden spoon. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a simmer; cook 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. (If seasoning is too mild for you, add 1/2 tsp. or so each of chili powder and cumin.)
2. Transfer mixture to greased 1 1/2-qt. baking dish. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. To make Cornbread Topping: Combine cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl, and mix well; set aside. Whisk egg yolks in separate bowl until pale; whisk in buttermilk and oil. Set aside. Beat egg whites in separate bowl until soft peaks form.
4. Make well in dry ingredients, and pour in buttermilk mixture. Mix just until combined. Add green onions and jalapeño. Fold in egg whites. Pour over vegetable mixture.
5. Bake until topping is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories 504
- Carbohydrate Content 62 g
- Cholesterol Content 74 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 998 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g