Pick up the festive flavors of Mexico in this robust main-course salad. This would also make a beckoning brunch main dish. In either case, offer a basket of hot corn or flour tortillas as wrappers. To underscore the taco flavor, garnish this salad with whole or crushed taco chips, if desired.
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, rinsed
- 15-oz. can black or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 1/4-oz. can corn, drained
- 6-oz. can pitted black olives, drained
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1 to 2 jalapeno chiles, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 3 Tbs. taco sauce
- 1 Tbs. granulated sugar, or to taste
Dry lettuce leaves, trim off tough ends and line salad bowl with leaves.
Combine beans, corn kernels, olives, scallions and tomatoes in a mixing bowl and toss to combine. Add avocado and coriander leaves and stir in gently.
To make dressing, combine ingredients in bowl and beat together to combine. Toss salad ingredients with dressing.
To serve, scoop bean mixture into the salad bowl. Garnish with sliced jalapeños.
- Calories: 470
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Fat Content: 30 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 280 mg