This bright side dish goes especially well with enchiladas or tacos. Unsweetened almond milk lends a natural, delicate sweetness and moistness to the rice while also boosting protein content.
- 11/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup packed, trimmed watercress sprigs, plus more watercress for garnish, divided
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 6 Tbs. toasted, salted pepitas or pumpkin seeds, optional
1 Purée broth, almond milk, watercress sprigs, cilantro, and salt in blender until smooth.
2 Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice, and sauté 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Stir in watercress purée, and bring to simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat to low. Cover tightly, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice is almost tender. Remove from heat.
Let stand, covered, 3 minutes.
3 Gently fluff rice with fork. Transfer to bowl, and serve sprinkled with watercress leaves and pumpkin seeds, if using.
- Calories: 211
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 233 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g