This recipe is a spin on tacos—but much heartier and easier to serve. You can make your own Mexican seasoning by combining 1/2 tsp. chili powder, 1/4 tsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp. paprika, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Prepare the mix in larger batches, and keep in an airtight container, ready to go.
- 1 18-oz. tube polenta, cut into 12 1/2-inch slices
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large Vidalia onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. Mexican or Cajun spice seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
- 1 15.5-oz. can low-sodium red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco (2 oz.) or feta cheese
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sour cream, optional
Position broiling pan, or rack if using electric oven, 3 inches from heat, and turn broiler to high. Spray polenta slices with cooking spray, and place on broiling pan or baking sheet. Broil 5 minutes per side, or until browned.
Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook 4 minutes, or until softened. Stir in lime juice, spice seasoning, garlic, and lime zest. Cook 4 minutes, or until onion is lightly browned. Add kidney beans and tomatoes; simmer 5 minutes, or until heated through.
Place 3 polenta slices on each plate, ladle bean mixture over top, and sprinkle with queso fresco and cilantro. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
- Calories: 324
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2.5 g
- Sodium Content: 939 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g