This light soup (traditionally made with chicken and chicken broth) gets its body from diced avocado, which is served with tortilla strips and added at the table, along with lime wedges and freshly chopped cilantro and green onions. The heat of the soup warms the avocado and tortilla strips without turning them to mush.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbs. grated lime zest
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 cup short-grain rice
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded and diced (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 8-inch flour tortilla
- 1 avocado, diced (1 cup)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 6 lime wedges
1. To make Broth: Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened. Stir in garlic, and sauté 1 minute more. Add vegetable broth, lime zest, oregano, and 3 cups water; cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 minutes. Strain Broth, discard solids, and return to saucepan.
2. To make Soup: Add rice to Broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice is soft. Stir in tomatoes and corn, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Spray flour tortilla with cooking spray, and cut into thin strips. Arrange strips on baking sheet, and bake 5 to 7 minutes, or until tortilla is crisp. 4. Ladle Soup into serving bowls. Garnish with avocado, tortilla strips, green onions, cilantro, lime wedges, and hot sauce, if using.
- Calories: 131
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 321 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g