Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
The heat of the soup warms the avocado and tortilla strips without turning them to mush.
- To make Broth: Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened. Stir in garlic, and sauté 1 minute more. Add vegetable broth, lime zest, oregano, and 3 cups water; cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 10 minutes. Strain Broth, discard solids, and return to saucepan.
- To make Soup: Add rice to Broth. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice is soft. Stir in tomatoes and corn, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Spray flour tortilla with cooking spray, and cut into thin strips. Arrange strips on baking sheet, and bake 5 to 7 minutes, or until tortilla is crisp. 4. Ladle Soup into serving bowls. Garnish with avocado, tortilla strips, green onions, cilantro, lime wedges, and hot sauce, if using.
- Calories 131
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 321 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g