30 minutes or fewer
Rich in fiber and protein, these not-too-spicy bean-filled panini are a quick, tasty lunch (for adults too) or an after-school snack.
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat pita pockets
- 1 cup fat-free vegetarian refried beans
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into four pieces (drain and rinse pepper, if jarred)
- 4 Tbs. mild salsa
- 4 individual slices regular or soy Cheddar cheese
Cut an opening across top of each pita, just large enough to place fillings inside. Spread 1/4 cup refried beans inside each pita. Add 1 piece of red pepper, 1 Tbs. salsa and 1 slice of cheese.
Place large skillet over medium-low heat. Add pitas. Place another skillet over pitas, making sure it rests evenly on pitas. Cook pitas 1 minute. Remove top skillet, flip panini, place top skillet back on panini and cook 1 more minute, or until lightly browned. Serve.
- Calories: 187
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 998 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g