Miso, Almond & Mushroom Soba Noodle Bowls
You won’t miss the meat in these Asian-style bowls, thanks to a generous dose of satisfying umami, a savory, meat-like taste found in mushrooms and miso paste.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil, divided
- 2 portobello mushrooms, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 2 to 4 baby bok choy, halved and cored
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 8 oz cooked soba noodles or whole-wheat spaghetti
- 4 carrots, shredded or cut into matchsticks, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced raw unsalted almonds
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias, optional
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds, optional
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds, optional
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tbsp smooth roasted almond butter
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp cordyceps powder, optional (TRY: Mushroom Matrix Cordyceps Militaris Organic Powder)
- 2½ tsp white miso paste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- Prepare sauce: In a bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat ½ tbsp oil on high. Add half of the portobellos in a single layer and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with ½ tbsp oil and remaining portobellos and add to plate.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil on medium. Add bok choy, cut sides down. Add peas and bell pepper and stir-fry until bok choy is slightly wilted, bell pepper is tender-crisp and peas are bright green, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and sprinkle with salt.
- In a separate bowl, toss together noodles, half of the carrots and 1/2 cup of the sauce. Divide noodle mixture, mushrooms, bok choy mixture, remaining half of carrots and almonds among bowls. If using, top with scallions, hemp seeds and sesame seeds. Drizzle bowls with remaining sauce.
Looking for more bowl recipes? Try one of these:
- Cuban Black Bean and Quinoa Bowl
- Confetti Chickpea Grain Bowl with Lemon Herb Dressing
- Falafel Buddha Bowl
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 320
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 279 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 7.5 g