Inspired by the popular Japanese miso soup, this calls for Japanese rice seasoning. Select a vegetarian product. To complement this soup, serve hot green tea or sake, a light salad and green tea ice cream.
- 4 ounces dried udon noodles
- 5 cups water
- 4 Tbs. red miso paste or to taste, whisked with 2 Tbs. warm water
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 large daikon, grated
- 1/2 lb. silken tofu, drained and cubed
- 1/2 bunch watercress, well rinsed and tough ends trimmed
- 1 small sheet toasted nori, cut into thin strips
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil over high heat, and cook noodles for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
2. Bring 5 cups water to a boil over high heat. Slowly stir miso mixture into water. Reduce heat to medium; add mushrooms.
3. When mixture returns to a boil, remove from heat and ladle soup into large soup bowls. Divide noodles, daikon and tofu into equal portions; add to bowls.
4. Garnish with watercress leaves, nori and seasonings to taste.
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrate Content: 54 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Sodium Content: 1700 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g