This savory soup showcases the oyster mushrooms delicate flavor. Serve it as a first course to pique appetites.
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium to large leek, thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed arame, rinsed, optional
- 4 oz. fresh oyster mushrooms, stem ends pared and torn into pieces
- 6 oz. tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 to 2 Tbs. mellow barley miso or to taste
- 4 cups coarsely chopped loosely packed spinach
Heat broth to boiling in a large saucepan. Add leek, garlic, carrot and arame if desired. Cover and simmer gently until vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add mushrooms and tofu; simmer 3 to 5 more minutes.
In small bowl, whisk miso with several tablespoons soup stock. Stir back into soup along with spinach. Add umeboshi vinegar to taste. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 181
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 207 mg