In typical Shaker fashion, fresh herbs magnify the flavor of this classic bean salad, while the briny flavor of the black olives, though optional, gives memorable zing.
- 4 oz. fresh green beans, stemmed
- 1 cup cooked fresh or frozen baby lima beans, or canned, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup pitted and chopped Gaeta or other oil-cured olives (optional)
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
Fill large bowl with ice-cold water.
Bring large saucepan of water to a boil. Add green beans and cook, uncovered, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove beans and plunge into ice water until cool. Return cooking water to a boil. Add lima beans and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well. Transfer lima beans to serving bowl.
Drain green beans. Using fingers, pull apart two halves of each bean, then slice lengthwise to make French-cut beans. Cut long strips in half crosswise. Add to bowl with limas. Add cannellini beans and toss gently.
Add onion, olives if using, basil, parsley, oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper to bean mixture and toss well. Serve salad at room temperature.
- Calories: 198
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 10 mg