Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
- Rinse and drain lentils, split peas, and mung beans; place in large bowl, and cover with hot water. Soak 30 minutes. Drain.
- Combine drained lentil mixture, 1 Tbs. butter, 1 Tbs. ginger, turmeric, and 6 cups water in saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, and simmer 1 hour, or until legumes are very soft. Whisk with wire whisk to break up lentils. Add spinach and salt, cover, and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 Tbs. butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add cumin seeds; cook 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until seeds darken. Add onion, garam masala, and cayenne, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until onions soften and begin to brown. Stir in garlic and remaining 1 Tbs. ginger; cook 1 minute. Add tomato, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until tomato releases juices and most of liquid has evaporated.
- Stir tomato mixture into lentil mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if desired; garnish with cilantro, if using.
- Calories 153
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 12 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 358 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g