This starter salad is a wonderful way to enjoy delicate spring greens and fresh blueberries. If time is short, skip making the Maple-Nut Clusters and simply sprinkle naked hemp seeds over the dressed greens. Note: blueberries have a high pectin content, so the dressing will thicken as it sits; use immediately, or thin with water as needed.
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup raw walnut halves
- 1 1/2 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 3 Tbs. hemp oil
- 3 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 12 cups mixed baby salad greens
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, minced
1. To make Maple-Nut Clusters: Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix hemp seeds with cinnamon and salt in small bowl, and set aside.
2. Heat small skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts, and toast 4 to 5 minutes, or until fragrant, shaking pan often. Add hemp seed mixture, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in maple syrup, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Cool, then break apart into clusters.
3. To make Salad: Purée 1/2 cup blueberries, hemp oil, and lemon juice in blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Toss salad greens and mint in large bowl with 1/4 cup dressing. (Serve remaining 1/4 cup dressing on the side, if desired.) Divide greens among serving plates, and top each with remaining blueberries and Maple-Nut Clusters.
- Calories: 267
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 49 mg
- Sugar Content: 15 g