Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This salad is garnished with an Italian specialty, frico, a crisp disk of melted cheese. The Lemon-Oregano Vinaigrette dressing makes 1 & 1/2 cups, but you will need only 3/4 cup to dress this salad. Save the leftovers.
To make the Lemon-Oregano Vinaigrette:
1. Whisk together the lemon juice, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Continue whisking while adding the olive oil in a steady stream, and beat until well blended. Whisk again just before serving.
To make the Mixed Greens Salad:
2. Put the greens into a large salad bowl, and toss with 6 tablespoons Lemon-Oregano Vinaigrette. Arrange the greens on 6 individual plates. Toss the green apple slices with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette, and divide among the plates, arranging them in fans on one side of the plate. Divide the toasted walnuts among the plates, placing them in a strip down the middle. Crack each frico in half, and nestle the halves among the greens in a fan shape. Serve.
To make Frico:
You will need: 6 Tbs. shredded Montasio or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon shredded cheese onto the skillet in a 3-inch circle. Repeat with more cheese circles as space allows.
2. Cook the shredded cheese until all particles melt and the disk starts to brown, for about 4 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, and allow the disks to cool slightly and to firm. Carefully slide each disk from the skillet, and set aside on a flat surface to cool completely. Repeat until all the cheese is used up, spraying the skillet as needed to prevent sticking.
- Calories 220
- Carbohydrate Content 9 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 135 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g