- 1/2 cup basmati or other long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup black rice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 small shallots, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 lb. shiitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped (6 cups)
- 3/4 lb. cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, stalks finely chopped, leaves reserved for garnish
- 1/4 cup sherry or red wine vinegar
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 cup delicate raw mushrooms, such as enoki or clamshell, for garnish
1. Combine both rices and 2 cups water in medium saucepan; season generously with salt, if desired. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to simmer. Cover, and cook 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbs. oil in large pot or Dutch oven. Add shallots, and sauté 3 minutes, or until softened. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil and shiitake mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sauté 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are slightly softened and shrunken. Add cremini mushrooms and chopped celery; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 8 minutes more, stirring often, or until celery is softened.
3. Stir in vinegar, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan, and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until all liquid has evaporated. Stir in cooked rice (you should have 2 cups), broth, 2 cups water, parsley, and rosemary sprig; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Remove rosemary sprig. Serve soup garnished with parsley leaves, reserved celery leaves, and raw mushrooms.
- Calories: 308
- Carbohydrate Content: 53 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 185 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g