These oven-fried sandwiches skip the bread and use tofu instead. To make them gluten free, replace the breadcrumbs with finely chopped pecans or almonds.
- 2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbs. Italian seasoning
- 2 12-oz. pkgs. lite extra-firm tofu, drained, each block cut horizontally into 4 rectangles (8 slices total)
- 1/4 cup grated reduced-fat Cheddar or soy Cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced (8 slices)
- 2 slices soy or tempeh bacon, cooked and crumbled
Preheat broiler, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk together mustard and 1/2 tsp. thyme in small bowl. Set aside. Combine breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and remaining thyme on pie plate, and season with salt and pepper.
Place 4 tofu rectangles on baking sheet. Top each with 1 Tbs. cheese, 2 tomato slices, and crumbled soy bacon. Spread mustard mixture on remaining tofu pieces, and set on top of bacon to form sandwiches. Brush tops of sandwiches with water, and coat with breadcrumb mixture. Spray with cooking spray.
Broil sandwiches 2 to 3 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden. Flip with spatula, brush with water, and top with remaining breadcrumbs. Spray with cooking spray and broil 2 to 3 minutes more, or until browned and crispy.
- Calories: 201
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Cholesterol Content: 1 mg
- Fat Content: 5.5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 444 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g