This exotically flavored stew can be stretched to feed a crowd when ladled over rice or potatoes.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 18.2-oz. cartons prepared lentil soup
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried currants
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 6 Tbs. plain nonfat Greek yogurt or soy yogurt, optional
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 3 minutes, or until softened and translucent. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute, or until garlic is softened, but not browned, stirring constantly.
2. Stir in tomatoes, soup, chickpeas, raisins, cinnamon, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Bring stew to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, or until mixture is reduced and sauce has thickened, stirring often from bottom to prevent sticking. Garnish each serving with 1 Tbs. yogurt, if using.
- Calories: 263
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 642 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g