- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (2 oz.)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh mint
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest
In small dry skillet, cook almonds over medium heat until fragrant, shaking pan occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and stir-fry until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Remove to another plate.
In same large skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add ginger, cinnamon, cumin and paprika and stir-fry 1 minute. Return tofu to skillet. Stir in broth, honey and lemon juice and peel and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until tofu has absorbed flavors, about 15 minutes.
With slotted spoon, remove tofu to a plate; cover with foil to keep warm. Add toasted almonds to liquid remaining in skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until liquid is slightly syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Set aside.
Make couscous: In medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in couscous, cranberries and apricots, cover and remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff couscous mixture with a fork, stirring in parsley, mint and lemon juice and peel. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Divide couscous mixture among 6 plates and top with tofu. Drizzle with honey-almond sauce and serve at once.
- Calories: 365
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 137 mg