Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Keeping a can or two of lentils on hand means you can have this Greek dish on the table without having to cook the lentils beforehand. If you like onions, double the amount when caramelizing.
1. Bring rice, 2 1/4 cups water, and 1/4 tsp. salt to a boil in large saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until rice is tender, and all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 30 minutes, or until onion is soft and browned, stirring occasionally.
3. Transfer rice to large bowl, and fluff with fork. Stir in onion, lentils, parsley, thyme, lemon zest, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 274
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 281 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g