Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This recipe can be used to fill tacos or enchiladas, top quesadillas, or even make a warm dip. It’s a boon to vegetarian kitchens because many canned varieties of refried and black beans contain pork products for flavor.
1. Place beans and 5 cups cold water in bowl. Soak 5 hours, or overnight. Drain, reserving soaking liquid.
2. Coat Dutch oven with cooking spray; heat over medium-low heat. Add leeks and bell pepper, and sprinkle with salt. Cover, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin, and cook 1 minute more.
3. Add enough water to soaking liquid to make 4 cups, then add liquid and beans to leek mixture. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and simmer 1 hour, or until beans are soft, adding water if necessary. Mash some beans against side of pot to thicken. Serve sprinkled with queso fresco, in tortillas, or with chips.
- Calories 122
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 5 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 318 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g