This is an excellent choice for big appetites and a warming dish for chilly winter days. Seitan is a tasty protein food made of wheat gluten. It comes frozen or refrigerated and is sold in most supermarkets.MEAL PLAN: Make some quick-cooking brown rice according to package directions. Serve with steamed broccoli.
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large onions, quartered and sliced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 10 to 12 oz. button or cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. marinated seitan, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup frozen green baby peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup bottled stir-fry sauce
In large nonstick skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, and stir-fry until golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, and stir-fry 1 minute. Add mushrooms, and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until softened and juices are released, 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir in seitan, peas and stir-fry sauce. Increase heat to medium-high, and stir-fry until mixture is heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper. Serve hot, passing additional stir-fry sauce separately.
- Calories: 287
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 892 mg