Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
These hearty, healthy burgers get an unexpected crunchiness from the addition of oat bran. The burgers call for such accompaniments as a tossed spinach salad garnished with crumbled cheese or garlicky croutons and a simple custard or pudding for dessert. Instead of wine, you might pair these with a flavorful stout ale.
1. Combine mushrooms, beaten eggs, oat bran, shredded cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper in large mixing bowl. Shape mixture by hand, pressing ingredients together into burgers.
2. Heat large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 2 tablespoons oil, place several burgers at a time in skillet and pan-fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden. Turn over, and pan-fry second side until golden. Remove from heat, and drain on paper towels. Repeat, adding remaining oil, until mixture is gone.
3. To serve, arrange burgers on plate, and garnish with parsley and cheese, if desired.
Wine Suggestions These burgers are earthy and comforting. Match them up with a simple side of steamed greens or roasted root vegetables, and you’ve got a super wine-friendly meal. Pinot Noir is especially complementary to mushrooms, and the state of Oregon is home to many superb makers of Pinot Noir.
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 11 g
- Cholesterol Content 195 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 410 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g