Whole-wheat phyllo dough lends a wholesome, nutty taste and golden color to the finished strudel. Veganizing this recipe is a snap too—simply substitute vegan cream cheese and vegan Cheddar cheese.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (11/2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 lb. white mushrooms, sliced (5 cups)
- 2 10-oz. bags baby spinach
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 14-oz. pkg. firm tofu, drained
- 8 oz. Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 lb. whole-wheat phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/2 tsp. poppy, sesame, or fennel seeds, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 18- x 13-inch baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. To make Filling: Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper, garlic, and thyme in oil 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook 10 minutes, or until wilted. Stir in spinach and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until spinach has wilted, stirring occasionally. Drain, and cool in bowl.
3. Purée tofu, Neufchâtel cheese, and Cheddar cheese in food processor until smooth. Stir into mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
4. To make Strudel: Heat oil, garlic, and thyme in small pot over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Cool.
5. Cover bottom of prepared baking pan with 2 phyllo sheets, allowing sheets to overlap each other and hang off sides. Brush with garlic oil. Place 2 more phyllo sheets on top, and brush with garlic oil. Repeat 4 times, until you have a 6-layer bottom crust.
6. Spread Filling in crust, leaving 3-inch edge all around. Brush edges with garlic oil. Fold sides of phyllo over filling. Cover filling with 2-sheet layer of phyllo (4 sheets total), overlapping sheets in center. Brush with garlic oil. Repeat layering 2 sheets at a time until you have 4 layers (16 sheets phyllo total), brushing every second sheet with garlic oil. Tuck under edges. Sprinkle top with seeds, if desired. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into slices.
- Calories: 299
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Cholesterol Content: 24 mg
- Fat Content: 15.5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 541 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g