Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
1. Preheat oven to broil. Broil challah slices on baking sheet 5 minutes, or until golden brown, turning once. Transfer to plate to cool.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, milk, and 2 tsp. thyme in shallow dish; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add challah toast, and soak 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté 6 to 7 minutes, or until browned. Transfer mushrooms to bowl; set aside.
4. Melt 2 Tbs. butter in same saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and flour; cook 1 minute. Whisk in sherry, if using, and cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and mushrooms; cook 2 minutes. Whisk in cream cheese, if using, and remaining 1 tsp. thyme; keep warm.
5. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. butter in cast-iron skillet. Add bread slices, and cook 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Serve each slice French toast with ¼ cup mushroom sauce.
- Serving Size 1 slice french toast with 1/4 cup sauce
- Calories 315
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 121 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 234 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g